Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Maine issue

In a previous blog, I made a generalization about the state of Maine. I do understand that Maine has more to it than the coastal regions. I was trying to make a point, and in doing that, I made some generalizations. I racked my brain to think of the differences between the people in the northeast and the people in Southern Maryland.
Not only Maine, but states like Vermont and New Hampshire, have what I would call a sense of pride in community. Where I live, this is not the case.
I went about 5 days without seeing a Wal-Mart, 7-eleven, Home Depot, Target, McDonalds, Rite Aid, or a Best Buy. These 5 days were spent walking in and out of small shops and talking openly with the locals. These towns (Woodstock, Vermont) will not let big business enter. This is an amazing sense of community. This is something that is foreign to me. This is what I saw in Maine. In Maine, I went to Ogunquit, Deer Isle, Bar Harbor, and Kennebunkport. We also drove through many small towns that were inland. Very enjoyable drive!!
After reading comments, maybe this sense of pride in community is what is different. I hope that some day in my community, eyes would open to see the changes being made in states like Maine.

No comments: