Monday, July 9, 2007

The End Result

I have mentioned the need to change the education model that we currently have in place in our schools. I believe that I read in one of Roger Shanks' posts that it has been the same model since 1895, http://www.districtadministration.com/pulse/ . Any way, reading David Warlick's Blog today http://davidwarlick.com/2cents, I decided to add my opinion to the mix.

I believe that the end result can be articulated painlessly. I may have to do some explaining. I do not claim to have all the answers, but I do think I know what needs to happen. We need to do whatever it takes to create INDEPENDENT LEARNERS. Currently, we have a population of DEPENDENT LEARNERS. By independent learners, I mean, students that can rely on themselves to find and use the vehicles in which they help them gain knowledge on a daily basis. By dependent learners, I mean, students that depend on an outside source to direct them to those vehicles.

My focus in the classroom is on creating a population of independent learners. This sounds easy, but the students are not familiar with this model. When these students come to my classroom they have already been programmed for 5 years to be dependent learners. The teacher tells them what book to use, what homework assignment to complete, what the rules are in the classroom, when to get up, when to sit down, when to go to the bathroom, and sometimes, what they think. There is much work to be done that first month of school.

My focus is on having each student become self-sufficient on every level. As a class, they are dependent on themselves alone. Like a team. Most importantly, they do not rely on me for their answers, but for guidance as to how to come up with the answers.

There will be more to come...

No comments: