Monday, June 18, 2007

A bonus for Teachers?

I came across this article today in the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/education/18pay.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=f2c4545c82704cc3&ex=1339819200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Very interesting. The debate as to whether or not teachers should be compensated for good student performance is troubling to me. Students being able to control how much money their teachers make? This is disturbing. What criteria do administrators use to judge the teacher? Who decides on the perimeters of the bonus? What happens to the teachers that don't receive the bonus?

Teachers like me are not always popular with the administration because we question the reasoning behind certain decisions. What happens to teachers like me? If I perform wonderfully on their rubric, will I be rewarded, or looked over because they feel threatened by my views?

No comments: